LIMITED TIME OFFER - SALE ENDS IN: ::

Cart
0
Close
Add for free Shipping
Free Shipping!

FREE GIFT

FREE SHIPPING

FREE GIFT

Jewelry Cleaning Cloth

Achieve a briliant shine with our high-quality reusable polishing cloth

£0.00 £20.00

Your Cart Is Empty

Your purchase must be $100 and over to get the Free Gift!

Your purchase must be $150 and over to get the Free Gift!

LIMITED TIME OFFER

Offer ends in10:00

(119 reviews)

12mm Diamond Prong Cuban Bracelet White Gold [ONE-TIME OFFER]

Upgrade your order with this stunning piece to match with your other items.

£78.00£189.00

Decline this offer

FREE CHAIN

10% OFF

20% OFF

FREE SHIPPING

UNLOCK YOUR OFFER

SPIN TO WIN

By entering my email address I agree to receive all communication from 6 ICE.

CONGRATS!
Check your email to claim a Free Chain.

Enter your phone number
to get EXTRA 10% OFF.

GET EXTRA 10% OFF

CHECK YOUR PHONE FOR EXTRA 10% OFF CODE

CONTINUE SHOPPING

No, I don't want my prize

No, I don't want Extra 10% OFF

WIN
FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS $200 +
VALENTINE'S DAY SALE - UP TO 70% OFF
  • 5 min read

If you're a first-time jewelry buyer, navigating the world of silver jewelry can be a bit overwhelming. With terms like "silver plated" and "sterling silver" being thrown around, it's important to understand the difference between the two. In this article, we will break down the distinctions between silver plated and sterling silver, helping you make an informed choice when selecting your next piece of jewelry. Whether you're searching for a necklace, bracelet, or earrings, we've got you covered with all the essential information you need.

What Is Silver Plated?

Silver plated jewelry is made by covering a precious metal base, such as brass or copper, with a thin layer of silver. The base metal provides the structure and durability of the piece, while the silver layer gives it the appearance of genuine silver. The silver plating process involves electrically bonding the silver layer to the base metal, creating a strong bond.

One key thing to note about silver plated jewelry is that the thickness of the silver layer can vary. This means that over time, with frequent wear and exposure to elements like moisture and chemicals, the silver layer can wear off, revealing the base metal underneath. This can result in the jewelry losing its silver appearance and potentially causing skin irritation or discoloration.

What Is Sterling Silver?

Sterling silver, on the other hand, is a much higher quality and more durable option compared to silver plated jewelry. It is made up of 92.5% pure silver, with the remaining 7.5% composed of other metals, usually copper. This is because pure silver is too soft to be used in jewelry on its own, so the addition of other metals gives it strength and durability.

One of the main advantages of sterling silver is that it is less likely to cause skin irritation or discoloration compared to silver plated jewelry. This is because the silver content is much higher, reducing the contact between the skin and any base metal. Additionally, sterling silver is less prone to tarnishing and corrosion, making it a more long-lasting option.

What's The Difference Between Silver Plated and Sterling Silver?

Composition:

Silver Plated: Silver plated jewelry consists of a base metal, such as copper or brass, coated with a thin layer of silver. The silver coating is applied through a process called electroplating.

Sterling Silver: Sterling silver, on the other hand, is composed of 92.5% pure solid silver and 7.5% other metals, typically copper. This alloy is known as sterling silver and is renowned for its durability and long-lasting shine.

Value and Cost:

Silver Plated: Silver plated jewelry is generally more affordable compared to sterling silver. This is because the layer of silver on silver plated jewelry is thinner and less valuable.

Sterling Silver: Sterling silver holds a higher intrinsic value due to its higher silver content. Although it may be more expensive, it is a worthwhile investment for its quality and longevity.

Durability and Wearability:

Silver Plated: Silver plated jewelry is susceptible to wear and tear over time. The silver coating may chip or fade, exposing the base metal underneath.

Sterling Silver: Sterling silver is known for its durability and ability to withstand everyday wear. It is less likely to tarnish or lose its shine, making it a preferred choice for those looking for long-lasting jewelry.

Care and Maintenance:

Silver Plated: Silver plated jewelry requires gentle cleaning and careful maintenance to preserve its appearance. Avoiding exposure to harsh chemicals and storing it properly can help prolong its lifespan.

Sterling Silver: Sterling silver jewelry also requires regular cleaning, but its natural properties make it more resistant to scratching and tarnishing. Polishing with a soft cloth and storing it in a jewelry box or pouch can help maintain its luster.

Authenticity and Market Standards:

Silver Plated: Silver plated jewelry is commonly used in fashion and costume jewelry due to its affordability and versatility. It may not be labeled as "sterling silver."

Sterling Silver: Sterling silver is known for its authenticity and is often stamped or marked as "925" or "sterling." It is widely recognized as a higher quality and is used in fine jewelry pieces.

How Can You Tell If an Item Is Silver Plated or Sterling Silver?

  1. Look for hallmarks or stamps: Sterling silver items are typically marked with a hallmark or stamp to indicate their purity. Look for marks such as "925," "Sterling," or "SS" to confirm that the item is made of sterling silver. These stamps are usually located on the inside of rings or on the clasps of necklaces and bracelets.
  2. Perform a magnet test: Silver is not magnetic, so if a piece of jewelry is attracted to a magnet, it is likely silver plated or made of a different metal altogether. Keep in mind that some sterling silver items may have small magnetic components, such as clasps, but the main body should not be magnetic.
  3. Examine for wear or discoloration: Over time, silver plated jewelry tends to wear off, revealing the base metal underneath. Look for areas where the silver plating may be chipped, tarnished, or faded. Sterling silver, on the other hand, may develop a natural patina over time but will not peel or reveal a different metal beneath the surface.
  4. Consider weight and quality: Sterling silver is a dense metal and will feel heavier than silver plated jewelry. When comparing two similar pieces, hold them in your hand and feel the weight. Sterling silver will have a substantial weight to it, while silver plated jewelry may feel lighter and less substantial.
  5. Seek professional guidance: If you're still unsure about the authenticity of a piece of silver jewelry, it's always a good idea to consult a professional jeweler. They have the expertise and tools to accurately determine if an item is silver plated or sterling silver.

How Does The Resale Value Compare To Silver Plated and Sterling Silver?

When it comes to resale value, sterling silver generally holds more value compared to silver plated jewelry. This is because sterling silver is made of 92.5% pure silver, while silver plated jewelry only has a thin layer of silver coating over a base metal. The base metal in silver plated jewelry can be made of various materials, such as copper or brass.

Because of its higher silver content, sterling silver is considered more valuable and desirable in the jewelry market. It is often used in high-quality and fine jewelry pieces. Silver plated jewelry, on the other hand, is more affordable and may not hold its value as well over time.

Is Sterling Silver Fine Silver?

No, sterling silver is not considered fine silver. Fine silver refers to silver that is 99.9% pure, while sterling silver is composed of 92.5% silver. The remaining 7.5% is made up of other metals, typically copper, which is added to improve the durability and strength of the silver.

Conclusion

In summary, when it comes to the choice between silver plated and sterling silver jewelry, there are several key factors to consider. Silver plated jewelry offers a more affordable option, but it may not have the same durability and longevity as sterling silver. On the other hand, sterling silver jewelry provides a higher quality option with its higher silver content and durability, making it a worthwhile investment for those looking for long-lasting pieces. Ultimately, the decision between silver plated and sterling silver jewelry depends on your personal preferences, budget, and the intended use of the jewelry.

Final Thoughts

Discover the world of bespoke jewelry at 6 Ice. Our skilled craftsmen excel in creating one-of-a-kind jewelry pieces that reflect your unique style. From stunning chains to exquisite rings and bracelets, we offer a range of custom-made options to satisfy your discerning taste. Enjoy the allure of tailored luxury without compromising your budget, only at 6 Ice.

Sources

  1. https://www.jmbullion.com/investing-guide/types-physical-metals/fine-silver/
  2. https://www.marthastewart.com/1541729/how-tell-silver-is-real
  3. https://www.alicemadethis.com/blogs/journal/55812739-base-metals-copper-brass-and-steel



Search

Close